The Arc of Greensboro Project SEARCH Skills Trainer
The Skills Trainer/Job Coach provides individualized support for interns, participating in Project SEARCH. Interns are in their last year of high schools and have an Intellectual and/or Developmental Disability (IDD). Interns complete three (3) internships onsite at Moses Cone Hoospital, in order to acquire competitive and marketable skills.. During each internship rotation, the Skills Trainer/Job Coach works with interns by providing systematic instruction to teach and breakdown tasks, building natural supports, developing accommodations, identifying appropriate assistive technology, etc. To do this, the Skills Trainer/Job Coach must communicate effectively with other skills trainers, mentors, co-workers, support systems, and school and agency personnel as it relates to the student being trained. In addition, the Skills Trainer/Job Coach position requires specific task analysis, assistance with vocational evaluations, and development of job coaching plans.
- Work with interns, employers, families, job placement specialists, agency personnel, affiliate school personnel and other appropriate parties to problem solve issues related to training and employment.
- Practice positive reinforcement techniques with co-workers, interns, and other staff.
- Provided Pre-Employment Training and Travel Training during summer months for all interns prior to starting program as deemed necessary.
- Communicates with Project SEARCH instructor to make decisions regarding any issues that may affect student success at an internship or competitive job site. These decisions may be related to continued skills training, fading, behavior, job tasks, etc.
- Attend training provided to become knowledgeable of strategies and current “best practices” in the field of supported employment.
Plan with all team members to determine career interests, specific job preferences (hours, location, etc.), skills and abilities to develop an individualized job development plan.
- Assist in the development of the IEP or other individual plans and implement specific vocational components of the individual plan including job training and the development of specific goals/objectives/activities/ for a successful transition to work.
- Provides and/or plans for training in the areas of grooming, hygiene, communication, budgeting, interviewing, self-advocacy as they relate to successful employment.
- Assist special education personnel in developing more effective vocational curriculum activities for the intern.
- Participates in the decision-making process to identify and implement training strategies and/or services with other Project SEARCH staff and host business staff.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field such as rehabilitation, counseling, social work, psychology, education, human resources, business administration, or economics, from an accredited college or university and one year’s experience as described above.
- Relevant experience may substitute for educational requirements.
- Ability to interact with individuals with a variety of Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities in a respectful and empowering manner.
- Basic computer skills in Microsoft Office and the ability to learn and utilize computer systems for entering required data.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to interact with a variety of people. Ability to complete required documentation.
- Must be able to move around a large hospital quickly.
- Must be current or willing to become current in CPR/First Aid/Bloodborne Pathogens, and NCI Training.
- Must be able to pass an extensive criminal background check.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- Must complete medical testing and immunization requirements of the work location.
- Knowledge of current “best practices” in the field of supported employment.
Project SEARCH follows the Guilford County School Schedule. Approximate hours are 7:30 am-2:30pm Monday through Friday.
Base hourly wage is $17.00.
Benefits are negotiable.
Submit your electronic resume to email@example.com or a printed vesion to The Arc of Greensboro, 8 Battleground Court,
Greensboro, NC 27408.
If you have any questions, please submit them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your phone number and best time to call.