Membership has played a central role in The Arc of Greensboro’ success since the organization began as a grassroots movement in 1953. Those founding members were united in a common goal – working to increase opportunities for people with developmental disabilities. That mission continues to thrive in the advocacy, outreach and support services The Arc contributes daily to our community.
Membership helps strengthen an organization known for pioneering innovative programs for those with special needs. As an Arc member, you become invested in this work and help make a positive difference for more than 11,000 people with developmental disabilities living in Greater Greensboro.
Q: What membership opportunities are available through The Arc of Greensboro?
A: The Arc of Greensboro offers 12-month membership opportunities valid from July 1 through June 30 of each year. We encourage you to consider becoming a member at your preferred level:
- Self advocate – $10
- Individual – $25
- Family – $30
- Community partner – $50 (businesses, civic groups, service providers)
- President’s Club – $100
Q: Why is membership with The Arc of Greensboro so critical?
A: Membership fees enable The Arc of Greensboro to:
- Offer guidance and support to those in our community who need and seek our assistance.
- Monitor national progress made in the area of inclusion, such as education, employment, community living and recreation
- Bring public attention to the needs, rights and abilities of people with intellectual disabilities
- Encourage progressive legislation, through lobbying by state and national Arc chapters to ensure legislators understand the issues and concerns affecting individuals with disabilities.
- Expand its advocacy, support services and other resources – both for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.
- Promote and apply research to enhance independent living
- Cover the cost of affiliation fees with that state and national network of similar organizations.
Q: What are the benefits of becoming a member of The Arc of Greensboro?
A: Membership with The Arc of Greensboro not only connects you to resources available in our local community, but also connects you to resources available through The Arc of North Carolina and The Arc of the United States. Additional membership benefits include:
- Access to vital community resources that empower individuals and families with the necessary tools to ensure their needs and rights are fulfilled
- Access to programs sponsored by The Arc of Greensboro, including Challenger Sports, RemArcable CommUNITY enrichment classes, Project Search, arcBARKS and more
- Membership in The Arc of the US
- Subscriptions to the Arc Advocate, a quarterly publication from The Arc of Greensboro, as well as subscriptions to The Arc inSight, the national newsletter of The Arc of the United States and The Arc Works! newsletter from The Arc of North Carolina
- Opportunities to attend conferences sponsored by The Arc of North Carolina and Arc of the United States at a discounted rate
- Discounts on qualifying insurance and financial planning services offered through The Arc’s partner organizations
For questions regarding membership, please contact Marcy Williams at [email protected] or call 336-373-1076 X 102